Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A PBC Personal Project

The winter months are always the slowest for my mom, sister, and myself when it comes to working on our Point Breeze Cottage projects that we sell on Etsy. The majority of our inventory comes from Yard and Estate Sales, which tend to be strictly spring and summer-time events. So during the winter months we either work on pieces we've collected and haven't begun yet, or research for new ideas for the coming year.

This past summer we stockpiled a surprising amount of French Provincial furniture. This style is GREAT for re-purposing since it has a classic and solid look and tends to be very durable. In fact, you can check out some of the French Provincial pieces we've sold in the past by clicking HERE!

With the unusually warm weather we've been having, my mom, Donna, decided that she wanted to get back in the shed and try to work on some of our remaining pieces. I happen to live in a 1929 cottage (hence the name Point Breeze Cottage) that only has half of a closet; And I consider it half a closet because it's so poorly designed you really can't fit much of anything in it. So for me, storage is a HUGE deal. My husband and I have been trying to finish decorating our bedroom for probably a year now (if not more) and were constantly coming up short. Now matter how good it looked, it was never complete because there wasn't enough room for all of our clothes, shoes, grooming products, pictures, etc. Until now.

I decided to dip into our PBC inventory and have my talented mother restore a piece that fit exactly right for my own room. She was itching to start working on something and I happened to need some extra storage, so she got right to work. Here is the piece I picked out. A very old and DIRTY French Provincial chest of drawers:



The more she and I cleaned out the piece, the more we realized it was in rough shape. It was probably used in a child's room for many years before we found it, but all of the drawers worked, the hardware was intact (we had already removed it before we took these pics), and it was the exact size I needed. So we were determined to make it work.

I helped my mom clean the chest and get it ready for restoration and then I let her take over. She is just SO MUCH BETTER and painting and distressing than I am. She says it comes with practice, but I think she's just got mad skills! Anyway, we decided on a lovely light grey color for the base and then a hint of silver along the time and on the hardware. I think it is absolutely perfect and is neutral enough to put in any room in my house if I ever need to move it. Check out her awesome work!

I love the color combination of the grey and silver!

Fits perfectly in the space I was working with.
 
Hardware looking as good as new.

Thanks again, Momma! It looks great and it's so helpful to have the extra storage in our bedroom now.

1 comment:

  1. You are welcome sweet pea! I love painting pieces, especially when they get to stay with us aren't sold! Wait, I like selling items but sometimes it's great to have a piece work out perfectly for our homes! Hope you get lots of use out the dresser!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS