Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Memorial Day Weekend 2013

In the working world, Memorial Day is one of the most anticipated holidays on the books. It ends the Holiday drought from February to May and almost always guarantees good weather. With all of the cookouts and parties, it's easy to forget about the meaning and memory behind the holiday, remembering all of those who gave their lives in the Armed Forces for OUR freedom. I have a lot of family and friends who serve(d) in our country's military, and I am lucky enough to say that I do not actually know anyone who has given their life in the line of duty. Thank God, because there are so many others out there who have lost their loved ones to war.

I spent the long weekend with those I love, playing with my pup, taking a trip to the park with my sweet niece and nephews, and enjoying my yard/home.

Several months ago, my sister encouraged us all to buy MLB tickets to the Nationals vs. Orioles game on Memorial Day itself. My Dad is an avid baseball fan (that's an understatement actually) and his birthday was the day after Memorial Day, so we used his birthday as an excuse to go to the game. Unfortunately, the big guy is having surgery on his foot this week, and needed to work on Monday and couldn't come to the game. Even though it wasn't the same without his constant critique and commentary, we had a blast. My husband and I bought his ticket and gave it to my father-in-law for Fathers Day.

The weather was warm, the seats were great, and the kindness and thought that the Nationals organization showed for those lost in war for Memorial Day was inspiring!

Bubs and I, cheering for the O's!

Enjoying the game, and an Orioles lead.

My sister, Marci, and I went down to the front row to watch warm ups. Chris Davis, the Orioles slugger and first baseman, spotted our O's jerseys in a sea of Nats gear and tossed us two warm up balls followed by a kind smile and salute. *swoon*

Free American flags when you entered the park.

Marci, my mom, and myself taking in Nationals Park.

Before the game started, a different starting line-up took the field. A military widow made her way to the pitchers mound, and all of the other positions were filled with children who lost a parent to war, accompanied by a military sponsor. *tear*

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS