Monday, May 7, 2012

Bar Cart, Goodbye!

The time has come to say goodbye to one of my most beloved pieces so far, the beautiful blue and white bar cart!

The blue bar cart, resting perfectly on the front porch of Point Breeze Cottage!

Though we've had this item for sale for a couple of months now, it's still hard to see it go. This bar cart holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first pieces that I did entirely on my own.

My husband works for a government contractor who happens to do a lot of work out of Virginia Beach, VA. Last fall he was sent there, spur of the moment, on travel and I decided to take a mini-vacation and tagged along. As I was driving him to work one morning, I noticed a couple thrift shops along my route. So once I dropped him off I went to scope them out and see if I could find any thrifty pieces that were calling out to be made "refabulous".


Ready to check out some of the local thrift stores in the VA Beach area.
 Obviously not use to being out thrifting during the week, I arrived at the first one around 7am...and they didn't open until 9am. I used that time to drive around town, make a plan of which shops to hit and in what order, and of course, snap a picture of myself preparing to thrift!

My first stop was a Disabled American Veterans (DAV) sponsored thrift shop, and it was great! The first thing I noticed was a sign that read, "All prices are final. Proceeds are benefiting Disabled Veterans." Who can argue with that? Anyway, I wandered around for a while and finally made my way back to the furniture section.

And there she sat. A funky, but sturdy, 1970s or 80s wood and metal bar cart that had just been marked down. I instantly saw the potential of the piece and knew exactly what I wanted to do to spruce it up. But this was the first store I'd been in and we still had 2 days left in the area. If I bought this, would I have room for anything else? Would our suitcases still fit in the car? I didn't waste too much time on those questions, because I grabbed the price tag off of it and headed to the front of the store to pay.  Thankfully it fit in the back seat of my sedan and I didn't end up finding any other large items I wanted to purchase anyway so it all worked out. Upon returning to Maryland, I cleaned the metal, painted the funky wood white, and decoupaged the shelves with a vibrant blue and white flower fabric. Talk about cleaning up nicely!




Due to the size of this item, shipping was somewhat outrageous. The piece didn't come apart, so our only choice was to ship it as is in a VERY large box. We had a ton of interest in the cart from people in Canada to California, but no one was ever willing to pay the shipping costs. UNTIL last week, when I got a message from a very friendly, fellow Marylander, who just loved it. We've recently added a new policy at PBC that states that for any purchases within a 25 mile radius, we'll charge $25 for shipping and deliver it to you ourselves. And with that, the bar cart was sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS