Friday, June 29, 2012

Friday Inspiration

This morning I want to share a special piece that I did serveral months ago as our Friday Inspiration. The inspiration for this adorable chest of drawers was my dear friend Kara, who was expecting her first child. Once Kara found out she was having a sweet baby girl, she asked me if I'd be able to redo an old chest of drawers, that was her moms and then hers, for the fast approaching baby girl.

Of course I said yes, I'd love to! I had to start by stripping the paint off of the old chest, which was probably the hardest part of the entire project. You see, having belonged not not only Kara, but her mom too, this piece had been painted over several times with several different colors. After 3 or 4 episodes with the Citristrip, the chest was finally ready for it's ReFabulous makeover!

By this time, Kara had picked out a beautiful name (Savannah) and a precious color scheme for her room (lavender and green). Originally, she wanted to stain the wood on the chest to match the crib she had purchased for Savannah, but once we got down past all of the layers of paint, I realized that it wasn't going to be possible. Too many years of paint had soaked into the wood, making it impossible to get a good, clean stain. So I purchased a can of Valspar Buckeye Brown paint, which was pretty close to the stain color she wanted, and got to work.

To finish off the chest, and give it a special, customized look just for Savannah, I decided to decoupage the inside of the drawers with a lavender and green flower print and a purple on the base of the drawers. And we also purchased faux crystal knobs in lavender for the drawers. It turned out so precious! Leave us a comment and let us know what you think!











No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS