Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thinking Outside of the Box.

Tuesday’s Tips
I know it's an age old saying, “Think outside of the box,” but it still holds true when repurposing and creating home décor and it is our Tip of the Day. When we go out "saleing" or "picking" and find new projects, it’s easy to make a snap decision on how we want to style the piece. Curvy lines, delicate design = more feminine. Hard lines, bold cuts = more masculine. However, I think it’s important to think outside of the box every now and then and try something different.
For example, just because something is flowy and feminine doesn’t mean it has to be pink, cream, yellow or peach. Try looking at it in a different light. Right now, I’m working on a child’s patio table and chair set that I was completely envisioning in a pale pink for a little princess. But then as I was going through our fabric supply I had a moment of nature-filled inspiration. I pulled out the new fabric Donna had recently purchased and thought, “Let’s make this a set for both boys and girls to enjoy!”
Even though it’s not finished yet, I can’t tell you how excited I am to complete this project. In fact, here is a little sneak peek just to give you a feel of the piece:

So the moral of the story here is to think outside of the box. Sometimes standard works and sells, but to really make a unique piece that tells a different story you need to look at things from a new angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS